A kitchen mincer is believed to be among the everyday items the alleged attackers used to form a lethal device, according to the Herald Sun.
The apparatus was reportedly 'ready to go' as counter-terrorism police stormed properties across the city's west and inner-east.
He could be heard saying 'they bashed me.' When asked by who, he answered 'police'.
When asked why he was being arrested, the man mumbled 'I don't know nothing'.
'We've taken this threat very seriously,' Mr Colvin said.'You should infer that we think this was credible and there was an intention, and there was quite possibly a capability as well.' Airports across Australia are experiencing long queues after Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull warned of heightened security measures across the nation.
He said the raids were a 'major joint counter-terrorism operation' and reminded the Australian people 'the threat of terrorism is very real'.
Airlines fly from Jakarta to Australia daily, with direct flights to all capital cities.
According to The Australian the four, who are all related, allegedly made a 'non-traditional' device designed to kill passengers with a sulphur-based gas.
While the full extent of the alleged ISIS-inspired conspiracy is not yet known, so far it is believed the men - including the two father's aged in their 40s - planned to gas all passengers on board before detonating the bomb.The accused, whose names are known to Daily Mail Australia but not yet confirmed by police, were arrested in the simultaneous raids.Australian Federal Police, ASIO and NSW Police jointly carried out the operation on Saturday in Surry Hills, Lakemba, Wiley Park and Punchbowl.NSW and Federal Police swooped on five properties in the Sydney suburbs of Surry Hills, Lakemba, Wiley Park and Punchbowl on Saturday afternoon and found a 'considerable' amount of material.
But police won't say if they discovered an actual explosive device.Travellers have been told to arrive two hours earlier to make allowances for increased scrutiny.